IL -

As a rookie on XML it sounds simple (and increasingly loud)... use XML and
(most of) the GIS data sharing issues goes away...?

And topically to our list and if I get Bill's request right, a XMLed
workspace, wouldn't that be a XLM managing and defining a collection of
XMLs...?  Interesting?

I am also curious about your alert regarding the XML vocabulary between the
"<>"s.  Is this a normalization issue or a fixed dictionary one?  At one
early date in yester years, when both MapX and MapObjects were only 1.0s,
I/we were impressed in how closely either's vocabularies were alike.  Not
prefect but enough to suggest a common code vocabulary (Yeah, right, good
luck!)?

That foot note on my experience with assumptions of simplicity aside,  I
guess my excitement is lifted with this XML-stuff.  It seems to offer
improved methods to ease the endless quest for no-cost and other background
layers.   If there is such a benefit to a geoXML outline for information
distribution, meaning  easier and less complex IO conversions, better
metadata of all sorts including spatial indices, as well as open
readability, then could not  "our" data quest issues evolve to
TerraServer-like XML-automations?  How these tabular geoXML lists are then
indexed to the corresponding TAB, SHP, and other geographic objects alerts
my curiosity.  I see this XML future as a certainty but for this boy, it
remains yet a poorly understood technology shift.  Thanks for your insight
as to where a value might lurk.  I will keep watching.

MidNight Mapper

Aka neil