Good questions....

I too have kept an eye out for MySQL, but thus far this is my opinion.

The Spatial component is being developed as a "science experiment" /
prototyping space.  It is not a production environment (for spatial
support) in my opinion.  I am not trying to condemn it, it is just in
early development and this should be taken into consideration.

>From what I have read about the spatial component it intends to support
OGC specifications, but does not currently do so.  While I believe it
will the questions are when and how will it be supported?

There is far it has less "functionality" than with SpatialWare on SQL
Server or Oracle Spatial in terms of geometry types supported, spatial
indexing (The R-tree indexing is relatively new), compare the operators
between any of the products and you will see the differences.

In general there are limitations with MySQL, for example stored
procedures are new for MySQL, and have limitations.  I don't know if
spatial can be used in stored procedures at all.

I believe there is potentially an underlying problem within MySQL that
may have a number  of ramifications.  It is exhibited by the fact that
that the OGC  length() function can not be implemented using  the
"length" operator.  At first glance you may say "so what, call it
Glength for geometry length.  My fear is that it exhibits an underlying
architectural problem with MySQL, is there no support or problems when
overloading function names? (I don't know the answer to this yet, but it
has peaked my interest.

MyISAM storage is essentially enhancements to the original ISAM storage
architecture.  ISAM / MyISAM is a "library" of functions that provide
database functionality on operating system files.  MapInfo TAB files are
based on ISAM libraries.  MyISAM do not have Transaction support. This
is provided by the Berkley DB (BDB) storage extensions.  SO, currently,
Spatial is not supported in a transaction environment with MySQL.

My last comment for now...
I still think MySQL will become (future tense) a viable database to use
for supporting spatial data.  The final thing needed is support on the
client side.  At the moment you should be able to make an ODBC
connection, but the spatial data will need to be extracted in OGC WKT or
WKB format then transformed into a MapInfo geometry.  A better solution
will be for MapInfo, or more likely OpenSource to construct an OBDC
driver and casting functions to support MySQL binary to MapInfo Object.

The last hurdle would be replication / support for the Mapinfomapcatalog
to provide the metadata support for coordinate system, symbology, column
names, etc.