Hi Map-L'ers,

Just embarking on my first adventure with MapBasic - trying to incorporate some
commands into my workspace so it will execute a buffer operation on a selection
(created earlier with MapBasic in the .wor).

We are doing this to allow automated map creation for one of our offices to act
autonomously for routine map requirements without the need for a spatially enabled
person conducting manual mapping operations...ie: running the concentric ring
buffer.mbx each day.

Anyway, having started the process and saved the resultant .wor incorporating the
relevant commands, I have tried to open the .wor, but get an error message as follows:

(g:\dept\dengue\test cairns case and response maplocalhdd.wor:309) Expression does not
evaluate to a column or table name.

NB: the file name referred to above is the workspace file I have created...

My 3 questions are these:
Could the number 309 refer to the line of code that contains the error (it doesn't
seem likely to me...)?
If not, how do I locate the error in the workpace code?
Does the MB code need to include all of the filename or just the bit as it appears in
LayerControl (ie: when there are too many characters for the layer conbtrol to show
full file name, abbreviates name for display but also seems to abbreviate when
recording operation in MapBasic window...

I seem to have correctly coded in the opening of a pre-existing blank table (for the
buffer objects to be stored in) and the selection of the case premises.obj (and
relevant attributes), saving them to a table, opening this table and selecting all
records from this table with the following code:

Open Table "C:\GIS stuff\BufferTables\Cairns\TestAutoBlankBufferTable.TAB" Interactive
Map From TestAutoBlankBufferTable
Select CCC_Property_Details.obj, ACQ_DateOfLastConfirmed_Primary.Lot_plan,
ACQ_DateOfLastConfirmed_Primary.ConfPriDaysOnset,
ACQ_DateOfLastConfirmed_Primary.OnsetDateConfPri

from CCC_Property_Details, ACQ_DateOfLastConfirmed_Primary where
CCC_Property_Details.Lot_Plan =

ACQ_DateOfLastConfirmed_Primary.Lot_plan into Selection
Browse * From Selection
Commit Table Query1 As "C:\GIS
stuff\BufferTables\Cairns\TrialAutoCasesToBufferForBufferTable1.TAB"

TYPE NATIVE Charset "WindowsLatin1"
Open Table "C:\GIS
stuff\BufferTables\Cairns\TrialAutoCasesToBufferForBufferTable1.TAB" Interactive
Add Map Auto Layer TrialAutoCasesToBufferForBuffe
set map redraw off
Set Map Layer 2 Display Global Global Pen (12,2,16711680)  Global Brush
(1,16777215,16777215)

Global Symbol (32,12582912,24,"MapInfo Miscellaneous",0,0)
set map redraw on
Select * from TrialAutoCasesToBufferForBuffe into Selection
Browse * From Selection

The (possibly erroneous) piece of code that immeadiately follows the above section is:

Create Object As Buffer
>From TrialAutoCasesToBufferForBuffe
Into Table TestAutoBlankBufferTable.TAB
Width 100 Units "meters"
Resolution 30

Looking forward to any ideas/feedback/experience people may have - will SUM for
MapInfo-L,

Cheers,

Alistair

Alistair Hart
Vector Control Officer
Dengue Action Response Team
Tropical Public Health Unit Network
PO Box 1103
Cairns QLD 4870
Ph: 0740 503 628
Fax: 0740 311 440
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Failure is not an option;
it comes bundled with the software."

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you
receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received
in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is
prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to
health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error,
you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return email.  You
should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.