hi greg

these things may depend on what version of MIpro you are using? some inconsistencies
have been resolved in their more recent version ie v7.5, but then there are many
inconsistencies in the output and display aspects of mapinfo i find.

first thing is that you should be able to display the rulers on screen so you can see
the layout size.

secondly you may want to look at a) your output settings and b) your system settings
in options>preferences. you can control default resolution here and this may therefore
allow you to control default physical size...

hope that gives you a a starting point.

rachel rosen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

GIS Development Officer
GI Unit
Countryside Council for Wales
Plas Penrhos
Ffordd Penrhos
Bangor
Gwynedd
LL57 2DW

>>> "Driver, Greg 9434" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/23/04 10:42am >>>
Listers,

I'm messing around with the Save Window command and I've a small query
regarding the 'default' image size and layouts.  When I use the statement
I'm specifying the image type and the resolution but not the image
height/width, as I'm taking the 'default' image size (which is the size of
the original window according to the MapBasic Ref Guide).

This is fine for a map window but for a layout window I was expecting the
image size to equate to the paper size of the layout window, but it doesn't
seem to be working like this though!  An A4 layout comes out at 1264x894
pixels ( 10.7 x 7.57cm) rather than 3507x2480 pixels (29.7x21cm).  Altering
the size of the layout window within MapInfo (not the paper size but the
actual MapInfo window) doesn't effect the size of the saved image either (as
is true for a map window, as I would expect).

Am I wrong in thinking the default image size for a layout should be the
same as the paper size of the layout?  If I can't use the default image size
for a layout window and have to specify the image size to match the paper
size, how do I go about finding the physical paper size of a layout?

Greg

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Surrey Police does not
accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  This email
and any attachments may be confidential. They may contain privileged
information and are intended for the named addressee (s) only. They must not
be distributed without our consent. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify us immediately and delete the message and any attachments from
your computer, do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part
of it. Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the
individual sender, and not of Surrey Police. We believe but do not warrant
that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free. You must therefore take
full responsibility for virus checking. Surrey Police reserves the right to
monitor all email communications through their networks.