Hello Tim,

Managing so many raster images will be difficult but not impossible. Some
notes:

1) Creation - if you created the images from MapInfo, you could reduce the
number of raster tiles significantly by using larger images. Just doubling
the size will reduce your count by a factor of 4. Also, if your generator
software is your own MapBasic program, you can query the corners of the
image using MapperInfo() and write a TAB file (as a text file) with the
registration information. Alternatively, if the names contains the
coordinate, you can batch process all files in a directory (using the
Windows API FindFile() function came up on the list recently), scan the file
name for the coordinate information, and write the TAB file (again as text).
You might also want to build a table to act as a catalogue which may help
with handling the data (below).

2) Conversion - you note below suggests that MapInfo was not used to create
the images as I don't think it ever writes images that cannot be loaded back
again. There are a number of conversion tools around - many free. Try
Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) which has some excellent batch processing
capabilities.

3) Handling - You probably know already that you will not be able to load so
many tiles in one go. You could look into grouping tiles into seamless
rasters, or consider a special MapInfo Pro handler which traps view changes
and opens/closed the appropriate tables (might be a bit slow).
Alternatively, you could have a button to manually request the tiles for the
current view.

I have about 200,000 tiles on my system which are used to implement a cheap
but fast web mapping server. Other difficulties I have found include
transferring files from system to system. The number far exceeds the limits
of WinZip and many installer and media types have file limits which are
normally never a problem. Even copying files seems to take forever as there
is a per-file overhead and inserting a file into a heavily-loaded directly
takes much longer than copying in to an empty one (on NTFS anyway).

Good luck!

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.