This came up recently, but wasn't fully answered or resolved.

I have some (1993, 1994 vintage) MapInfo tables that show in the TAB file -
!table
!version 100
.... etc

When I save (under another filename - Save Copy As..) from MI v6.5, the TAB
is still v100, and this causes a problem when reading the fileset into
another GIS (Manifold System Release 6.00).

Changing the text header (in the TAB) from !version 100 -> !version 300
causes an error in MI when reading. If a TAB file is changed in this way,
Manifold will read in the fileset, but it does not "see" the attributes
(fields) - I assume the vectors it imports are OK (but maybe not). I
wouldn't expect this to be a sensible solution!

The way to use these "v100" TAB (MapInfo) filesets with Manifold, is to
export from MI as MIF/MID, then import the MIF/MID into Manifold.

The way that I can create valid "v300" TAB (MapInfo) filesets is to import
such a MIF/MID pair into MapInfo, then save as a TAB again. Manifold can
read these (or other) "v300" TAB, with all fields intact.

What I'd like to do is to somehow "force" MapInfo v6.5 to save as the "v300"
TAB format fileset, in one easy step.

Ian Thomas
GeoSciSoft - Perth, Australia