Interesting thread. Let me try and squash a few misconceptions.

I don't think there is such a thing as .NET compatible and I am not sure
what that would mean.Here's what I can tell you.

MapXtreme 2004 has an entirely .NET,  object model and interface that is
fully compliant with the specifications of .NET.  There is no reason why
any .NET language compiler could not compile code to work with our
assemblies. Each of our Assemblies is tagged with an attribute declaring
CLS (Common Language Specification) compliance. When  you do this and
compile your assembly, the build will fail if the compiler/linker finds
anything in the public API that cannot be called from a conformant
language. For example, VB is case insensitive so that 'Polygon' and
'POLYGON' are the same thing to VB even though they are acceptable to C#,
C++ and other languages. If you did this in your code and declared CLS
compliance, your build would fail.

It is true that we have only tested against VB.NET and C#. These are the
most popular .NET languages at this stage. However, C++ and J# are also
well used. As other languages get more use, we may need to test against
them as well. We have every belief that MapXtreme can be used by any CLS
compiler.

Our implementation does include quite a bit of native code (x86 not MSIL
which is Microsoft Intermediate Language) that is called by our MSIL code
to do a large part of the work. Not only do we get some well known
performance from this but that code is well tested and used. Interacting
with Native X-86 (or 64 bit arch) code like this is totally acceptable and
common at this stage in .NET. The .NET platform itself relies heavily on
Windows code for many things. In fact, the CLR (Common Language Runtime) is
itself a COM object. We are looking into the pros and cons of moving more
code to MSIL. There are a number of internal benefits that we would get. We
also might lose some performance so we will take our time to do this right.
However, none of this changes the external interface and the ability to use
MapXtreme from any other .NET code.

The "unsafe" moniker is correct. To mark your assemblies as "safe" you have
to have all MSIL code and there are even restrictions on that as well. The
unsafe/safe moniker is a statement of whether the code, by being entirely
compiled into native code by the runtime, is known to be safe from rogue
pointers and possible memory corruption in your process. Any code
(including all of Windows, for example) is not "safe" is this regard as
there is no way the .NET runtime can guarantee such a thing on code it did
not compile.

I would not expect all of MapXtreme to be "safe" for quite sometime.  We
would have to get rid of all our native code including such things as our
public Raster handler and Grid handler specifications. We would have to
rely entirely on garbage collected objects. Indeed, the use of ODBC or OCI
would not be "safe". Having assemblies like this is more often referred to
as having "fully verifiable" code. I expect that you will see much more
growth in our MSIL code base than our native code, however.

I know nothing about Delphi's latest releases and their  .NET work. I see
from their site that they have release version 8 for .NET. Someone
mentioned it will not work with MapXtreme. Are they sure? What is the
problem? If it can't then I would be suspicious of the robustness of their
deliverable. There was nothing in their FAQ which would make me think it
would not work.

In addition to the core body of code, a deliverable such as MapXtreme
includes much more. So, for example, we are working hard on constantly
improving our integration with Visual Studio and its visual designers. It
is very possible that Borland's IDE will not support such things because it
is using the .NET SDK not a Visual Studio SDK. But I can't tell at this
point. It would seem to me that Borland will have to stay as compatible as
possible to stay in the game. I wish them luck as competition is good. So,
with any luck, you  should be able to use MapXtreme technology from Delphi.
How well integrated it will be another question.

Now that I have said all this I wonder if there might just be some install
issues.

Keep the information coming.

Eric Blasenheim
Software Architect