From: Bill Thoen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 2:08 PM
To: MapInfo-L
Subject: MI-L OT - Windows Programming Philosophy

While developing some MapBasic code to support Windows API calls to
access
private profile files (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sysinfo
/base/registry_functions.asp?frame=true)
I ran across a Microsoft warning that says that using private profiles
(those *.ini files) is no longer in fashion and that now we should
always
use the Registry to store parameters for programs.

My feeling is that the Registry is already pretty stuffed with loose
toys,
and putting everything into that one system is unwise. However, I don't
want to let my ignorance get me into trouble someday, so I thought I'd
ask
for opinions.

What do other developers think about using the Registry instead of ini
files for MapBasic apps? Is it a black and white issue, or ar there
reasons for using an ini file sometimes, and the Registry at other
times?
Is a centralized repository of configuration data a better model than
using distributed ones? Does anyone have any good arguments pro or con
on
this?

Or should we do it simply because Microsoft says so? I suppose if
they've
lost interest in ini files, it might be a good idea to not to use them.

- Bill Thoen