From: Fletcher James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 12:49 AM
To: 'Simmonds, Ashley (DTUP)'
Cc: MapInfo ListServe Questions
Subject: RE: MI-L map data on a public site... legal issues...?

One of my clients had a similar situation.  The informal answer is this:
The people who own the data really have two concerns.

1.  They want to make sure that you are not creating a situation in which
people who would otherwise buy data from them, are getting it from you,
without compensation.  That's why there are all of those restrictions to
make sure that nobody can extract latlongs, etc., and also to make sure that
you cannot dynamically generate maps, or sell maps.

2.  They also want the opportunity to charge more if you are making piles of
money using their data.  That's another reason for the restrictions on
internal use, etc.

The standard data license is written with highly restrictive language, which
precludes anything even vaguely resembling an infringement on what the
vendors consider to be their rights.  So, you've got two different red lines
-- one where you are in technical violation of the license, and another,
much further out, where you're actually doing something which the vendors
don't want done.  The lawyers write the licenses this way, so that anybody
who really misuses the data cannot claim that they only had their little toe
over the line, or that the line is unclear.

I think for many people, the intended use falls between the two lines.

There is a clause in the license, after all the limitations, which says
something like "unless otherwise agreed in writing".  The solution is to
speak with MI or the licensor of the data, describe what you wish to do with
it, and get their agreement.  If you do wish to be selling products or
services which include large amounts of their data, they would probably be
very happy to have you do so -- for a percentage.  After all, that's why
they're in the business.

Fletcher James
President
Levit & James, Inc.