On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Tim Smith wrote:

> Does anyone know how I subscribe to GIS-L.
> I've tried various methods I've found on the web, but I keep getting a
> 'delivery failure' message.

GIS-L died off several years ago. Supposedly GISlist
(http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/community/lists/) was set up to replace
it, but I don't think it reaches the level that GIS-L did in its day.
IMHO, GISlist is mostly just another ESRI tech support list.

Could GISlist really have picked up where GIS-L left off? I'm not sure;
times have changed. GIS has become a product-focused industry now and less
of an unmapped frontier. Now GIS tends to be defined by the menus and
toolbars of commercial software.

There are still frontiers in GIS, but GISlist doesn't often get to them.
And that's too bad. I think there is still a small community of us who
might really be interested in a high-quality list --even if it's not a
busy one-- that focuses on the new areas of interest in GIS and sends the
tech support questions back to the appropriate lists.

Who will resurrect GIS-L?

- Bill Thoen