Hello James,

>From your last sentence, I guess you're looking at doing this in a MB(?)
program rather than with Pro's user interface.

As a rule, I say away from using "target" related commands unless I want the
user to be involve (typically with setting the target). For programmatical
object processing, it's much better to use overlap() and erase() to
implement the "Erase..." and "Erase Outside..." functionality. This is
especially true when just updating an object with no need to change
attributes since you can just do an SQL update on the obj field. Using the
target commands nearly always involves messing around with building
statement into strings and doing a "run command" - I avoid this wherever I
can.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.
http://www.europa-tech.com

-----Original Message-----
From: James Stott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 December 2004 12:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MI-L Objects Intersect Into Target help

All,

I am trying to use the Objects Intersect Into Target statement to erase
outside of a buffer.

This part works fine, it is when using the data clause that I have a query.

Is it possible to tell Mapbasic that you want all of the columns to be the
same as the original table (i.e. to not equal a value, a proportion or be
assigned blank), or can you / how do you set up the data clause so that the
intersect statement can deal with different tables that don't always have
the same number of column and names (i.e. the column names are not
hardcoded).

I have tried to add For loops at various places but this does not work.

Regards

James Stott

This Electronic Transmission is intended only for the attention of the
addressee. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
are not the person for whom it is intended, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error please notify us immediately by telephone, delete the
transmission and destroy any hard copies.
Nicholas Pearson Associates has used all reasonable efforts to ensure that
this message and any attachments are free from viruses.

Nicholas Pearson Associates
Environmental Planners - Landscape Architects - Ecologists
30 Brock Street, Bath,BA1 2LN
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 445548 Fax: +44 (0) 1225 312387
www.npaconsult.co.uk