From: Matt Carlson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 3:27 AM
To: MapInfo-L (mapinfo-l@lists.directionsmag.com)
Subject: RE: MI-L GeoDatabases

I agree with the separate thread: it was the geodatabase talk that got me
interested.

I occasionally use MapInfo and ArcView 9 and I'm currently looking around at
new GIS software (because I need network topology), and I see that just
about every other GIS software now has a better organised data structure.
I've looked at the following software:

ArcEditor / ArcInfo:    Access-based 'Personal Geodatabases'
Cadcorp MapModeller:    Access-based, similar
Manifold GIS:           Can store data in .MAP (Manifold Project - which is
like the workspace and geodatabase rolled into one) or link to an Access
database containing polygons etc.

No decision yet, but they've all made an attempt at sensible storage...

I'm not worried about enterprise databases so much - I just want to store
the stuff I'm working on in a sensible structure: I think the time has come
to end the sea of .Tab files and workspaces which bomb out at the slightest
error...

Oh, for the rest of my day-job, I use EMME/2 (http://inro.ca), which
similarly stores just about everything in its own binary database, with an
8Gb file size limit... Will 64-bit Windows give us bigger Access file sizes?

Cheers,
Matt
Matt Carlson
Senior Transport Planner