Hi Andrew

Create two new columns (integer type) for eastings and northings, then use
Update Column with the function Left$(gridrefcolumn,6) for the eastings and
Right$(gridrefcolumn,6) for the northings.

If you are working with conventional (i.e. SP123456 type grid refs), I have
written a MapBasic tool (cvtools.mbx) which converts a table of conventional
grid refs to easting and northings and creates points all in one step. It can
be downloaded (along with OS to MI tarnslators from the Map Room website:

http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/guides/maps/geo_tools.htm

best wishes

Nigel

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:51:02 -0000 Andrew Tracey
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have a MapInfo table, which has 1 column containing a 12-figure grid
> reference. Is there any easy way to break this column in half to come up with
> easting and nothings?
>
> Andrew Tracey
> Information Support Officer
> Corporate Information
> Corporate Development
> South Tyneside Council
> Westoe Road
> South Shields
> NE33 2RL
>
> Tel: 0191 4247561
> E-Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ************************************************************************************************
>
> ************************************************************************************************
> Please do not print this e-mail if you can help it - and help protect the
> environment.
> ************************************************************************************************
> This Message may contain confidential information and is protected by
> copyright.
> If you receive it in error please notify us and delete it without making use
> of
> or copying it. The addressee and other employees within the Council may read
> and copy any e-mail reply to this message and other e-mails you send to us.
> Whilst we use virus checking procedures we accept no liability for viruses
> and
> recipients must rely on their own virus checking procedures.
> additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Message
> number: 15586

__________________________________
Nigel N James
Map Room
Bodleian Library
Broad St
Oxford
OX1  3BG
UK
tel     : +44 1865 277013
fax    : +44 1865 277139
Visit the award-winning Map Room Home Page at:
http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/guides/maps/