Bill,
Thanks for the introduction to writing a custom projection.  No longer  as
daunting as it seemed.

I tried your line as written, and California was shifted about 2,900 miles
northward.  I played with the False Northing until this worked:

"Albers California Custom (CASIL)", 9, 62, 7, -120, 40.5, 34, 40.5, 0,  275800

Looks like the metadata's False Northing was untrue.

Truly grateful,

Mike

In a message dated 3/23/05 8:24:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,