Hi David

Five possibilities I can think off. First one is are you packing the
table after doing the thinning? A pack should make it smaller as it
removes deleted records. When you thin record 1 it becomes say record
1211001 but record one stays there until the geometry block is again
changed.

More likely is that the projection of the original table has different
bounds to the one that you save to. For example if you were thinning say
Meridian or Oscar , and the original was unbounded. If you then save to
bounded ( eg (0,0) (2000,2000) km ) then more geometry will be stored as
4 byte long ( rather than 2 byte short ) so the size of the file could
go up.

A third point is that because it is likely each segment of road begins
and ends at a link, they might be quite short segments and therefore the
percentage of nodes removed might be quite small.

A fourth point is that the physical number of records will not change.
Therefore the spatial index will be the same size, and if you did not
pack could be bigger.

The "save copy as" would effectively do a pack, so perhaps you are using
tighter bounds?

The fourth possibility is that the original tables were not created with
MapInfo technology. For example the data provider might have used Safe
Software.

When creating the Map File there is a "redundancy" in the storage. This
is actually beneficial as you can insert new records quickly into this
redundant space. When you actually fill a partition it actually has to
be split and at this time two new partitions that are only just over 50%
full are created - hence on these two almost 50% redundancy.

Your source data is expected to be read only and perhaps some other
technology eg Safe has removed a lot of this redundancy. Good for read
only , but not so good if you were inserting new records into the MAP
file. Files created and packed by MapInfo typically have 25% redundancy.

Regards

Bob
www.mapsbydesign.co..uk

--