Hi Brian

The MAP files contain the graphical data. It also contains style
information for the objects and it contains an hierarchical spatial
index - an RTREE index. Finally the header contains information from
which the base unit, the bounding rectangle, and the projection can be
derived.

For completeness, the DAT file contains the data attribution, the
optional IND file contains 1 or more indexes on the DAT file.

The ID file contains a 4 byte pointer into the MAP file to link records
in DAT to their graphical representation in the MAP file. The fact a 4
byte pointer is used (signed long) is the reason a MAP file is limited
to 2 GB. Also pointers in the MAP file that point into the DAT file are
also only 4 bytes limiting the maximum size of the DAT file.

The final TAB file is an ASCII file that describes the TABLE. When
describing the Native files format it lists all fields in full. This is
a more complete description than the header on the DAT file ( The DAT
file header takes the form of a DBF header and does not document
integer, smallint and float as done by the TAB file ). The TAB file can
also describe SQL selects, links to raster and links to XLS or DBF.

It is therefore possible to create a SHP file from just the MAP file.

Hope this is useful to you.

Regards

Bob
www.mapsbydesign.co.uk