Scott,

I too have had problems translating AutoCAD files into MapInfo. I use
ArcView to bring up the files to see what they look like and then convert
the layers I need into Shape files and then into Tabs. From what I can tell
the problem of translating AutoCAD files is getting worse. AutoDesk has
changed the file structures, I believe and MapInfo Corp. should look into a
way to do like they do with shape files and be able to directly read
AutoCAD files or  rework the Universal Translator and /or the import part
to better convert the files.

I know that may not be a viable solution, but it is my work around.

Leith C. Britt
Town of Cary
Technology Services
GIS/Database Analyst