Although a little off topic - AutoCAD Map 3D uses coordinates systems and
supports importing of .tab and .mid/mif files.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mats Elfström [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 8:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: MapInfo-L@lists.directionsmag.com
Subject: MI-L Ang. MI-L Autocad and MI workspaces

Hi Caroline!

No, MapInfo cannot export a workspace to another file format.
As often has been explained on this list, a MI workspace is no more than a
script file, containing information on the state of a Mapinfo session.
It lists which tables are open and how they are displayed and so on. By
opening a workspace file, the session can be re-created, but just as long
as those tables still are in place. Else, the workspace file will fail
miserably.
But could such a tool be created?  The closest equivalent in AutoCad would
probably be a dwg file with other files as reference files.
Unless of course the client would like to have all tables merged into one
drawing? Which in itself would be a challenge, if they want to retain
attribute data at all.
Then we have to consider object display, ether native, per table or
perhaps even thematic. This is contained in the workspace file, but how
should it be used when converted to a drawing?
Also be aware that a MapInfo workspace can contain tab files from multiple
projections and coordinate systems at one time. This is a natural ability
of a GIS, and cannot be recreated in a CAD system, originating from a flat
paper space concept.

I'd like to quote Bill Thoen who very well described this dilemma:
"The lack of embedded coordinate systems information is one reason why I
think CAD should never be used for making maps.  Not for any intrinsic
flaw in its ability or accuracy, but becasue there's hardly anyone who
uses it who has a clue about map projections and coordinate systems, and
consequently a lot of tedious work goes into making drawings that are
nearly useless as GIS data sources."

Hear, hear.

Hälsning / Best regards Mats.E
________________________
FB Engineering AB
Södra Förstadsgatan 26
211 43 Malmö

Tel: 040-660 25 50
Mobil: 0705-27 60 27
Fax: 040-660 25 99
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.fbe.se

"Caroline Hilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2005-07-18 14:37
Sänd svar till
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Till
<MapInfo-L@lists.directionsmag.com>
Kopia

Ärende
MI-L Autocad and MI workspaces

Hi

I have a client who is exporting MapInfo .TAB files to AutoCAD and wants
know if it is possible to export a MapInfo workspace to AutoCAD rather
than
the individual MapInfo tables?

I would make a guess that it isn't possible, but as I'm not an AutoCAD
user,
if anyone's more knowledgeable could you let me know?

Thanks in advance
Caroline Hilton