From: Mats Elfström [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 10:16
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: MapInfo-L@lists.directionsmag.com
Subject: MI-L Ang. RE: Ang. RE: MI-L Ang. MI-L Autocad and MI workspaces

Hi Brian!

Thank you for your time and valuable insight. This is very interesting
news. I only have access to Map 5 and I have not been able to do that.
Did the import of the  tab file read and stamp the coordinate system
infomation  into the resulting drawing file, or did you have to do that
manually?

Hälsning / Best regards Mats.E
________________________
FB Engineering AB
Södra Förstadsgatan 26
211 43 Malmö

Tel: 040-660 25 50
Mobil: 0705-27 60 27
Fax: 040-660 25 99
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.fbe.se

"Cowper, Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2005-07-18 16:07

Till
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Kopia
<MapInfo-L@lists.directionsmag.com>
Ärende
RE: Ang. RE: MI-L Ang. MI-L Autocad and MI workspaces

Hi Mats,

I just quickly imported a .tab file which was set to NAD83 17N coordinates
into AutoCAD Map, I then created a circle in AutoCAD an saved it as a
separate drawing with its coordinates set to NAD 27 17N. I attached both
drawings into a new drawing set to NAD83 17N, using AutoCAD Map commands,
and the they both came in at NAD83 17N coordinates. So yes is the answer
to your question, AutoCAD Map can work with drawings from different
coordinate systems.

I'll admit I still use GIS software for combining different projected
data, but I wanted to point out that there is at least one CAD package
that can deal with different coordinate systems.

As far as I know the coordinate information is stored in the AutoCAD .dwg
file, I doubt if any GIS program can access that information when
importing dwg files.

Brian