I've got to do some research into how to secure the data in a large
database so that it can only be used with its licensed application. The
scenario is an application distributed with MapInfo tables (mostly map
features with a unique Id and minimal other information) and an Access
database consisting of several linked databases.

I think I can do this by password protecting and encrypting the Access
data and VBA code, and through some sort of a software license key file
grant access to the program (probably by simply giving it the password
while not making that public.) I can probably protect the MapInfo data by
limiting the attributes carried in the tables so that they are not very
useful without the application, but that's obviously not ideal.

But am I looking at this the right way? Does anyone have any better ideas
or experience with doing this? How do those software licenses work that
you see with data-heavy applications?

TIA,

- Bill Thoen