Kent,
  Select * from myTable where right$(cityname,4)=" hts" into temp
  Update temp set cityname=left$(cityname,len(cityname-4))
  Update temp set cityname=cityname+" heights"
  Close table temp
  Save table myTable
Gary

Gary Searles
GIS Project Manager
Tele Atlas Mapping Services
1-800-331-7881  ext 1742
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 09/15/05 4:46 PM >>>

I am standardizing a list of city names from numerous abbreviations.  I am
stuck on how to update part of the city name if it occurs at the end.
For instance, HTS is an abbreviation for Heights.  I can successfully
update Vadnais Hts, and Mendota Hts, but not Oak Park Hts as it begins the
replacement after the first space, not the second, or perhaps even third.
Thank you.
Kent Treichel
Analyst-GIS
Tax Research