Hear, hear!

Rant or not, Jim is right.
I have seen this before, and ESRI was involved then as well
(What I am about to describe may have changed now but was a fact when the
question evolved)
Some time ago, Bentley announced a collaboration with ESRI so that the
MicroStation GIS add-on Geographics would be able to use ESRI data without
external conversion. This seemed like a good idea until it turned out that
this functionality required a valid ArcGis license on the machine.
I spite of much agitated debate on the relevant Bentley newsgroups, I
don't recall seeing any change to this policy.
And as someone pointed out back then, if he wanted to do GIS on a
workstation that has ArcGis, why use Geographics?

Best regards Mats.E
________________________
FB Engineering AB
Södra Förstadsgatan 26
211 43 Malmö

Tel: 040-660 25 50
Mobil: 0705-27 60 27
Fax: 040-660 25 99
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.fbe.se

"Jim Henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2005-02-13 15:44
Sänd svar till
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Till
"'Mapinfo-L'" <mapinfo-l@lists.directionsmag.com>
Kopia

Ärende
RE: MI-L GeoDatabase convert to MapInfo?

Flavio et al,

I think you have hit on the crux of ESRI's plan for ultimate domination.
use a product like FME to translate an ESRI GeoDataBase, ESRI requires
that
you have a legal Arc license on the machine. So much for Open GIS. Non
compatibility has always been ESRI's underlying plan for ultimate product
success. No need for technological excellence or user friendliness.

I am amazed at how far so many major government agencies have been led
down
the path of creating all their mapping assets in proprietary, non-open
data
formats. Open information is a thing of the past in so many ways today.

Sorry for the rant.

Jim

James C. Henry

JCH GeoInfo Solutions