Hi Tony

Sorry if I have the "wrong end of the stick" but I think MapInfo does do
what you need now.

The knack is to separate the TAB away from the SHP. Say you want your
SHP files to be accessed from drive f ( ie READONLY ).

Then copy just the TAB files to say "c:\SHPFiles\" ( which would be
witeable)

Then edit the TAB file. Just before the

Type SHAPEFILE  ....

add a line
File "f:\some_table.dbf"

This pointer to the shape files DBF tells MapInfo where to find the SHP
as well. However it will wrote its DAT,ID to where the TAB is.

Regards

Bob

Regards

Bob
www.MapsByDesign.co.uk

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Photogrammetry GIU
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

--
bob young