Hi Maggie,

The SGSI document is *not* a good place to start when comparing MIPro and ArcGIS. It's just a collection of old management yada, most of which are completely irrelevant and out-dated in this day and age. But by all means do as Dave suggests, and roam the list archive for previous (more updated) posts on the subject.

The general sentiment is - as I understand it - that MIPro is cheaper and much easier for the novice-average users, while ArcGIS is technically more advanced (and more expensive). I don't necessarily agree 100% on this, but don't want to start a rant/flame war over the issue.

As far as I can see, it basically comes down to choice. There are a number advantages AND disadvantages in choosing either product. Choose one, and stick with the choice. One guideline could be to see what the people/companies you need to work with uses.

- - - - - -

While reading the "Why_MI" document, I couldn't help noticing that in it MapInfo boasts having a wide product range. I can't help but sniff at this, since the only common ground between the separate products are data compatability, and even that isn't 100% guaranteed. ESRI has already solved this with their geodatabase concept, and even have a more homogeneous product line these days. Oh dear, there I went ranting after all :-)

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Lars Nielsen
GisPro

David Reid wrote:

This topic comes up every so often, it's latest was back in September.

I would encourage you to search the Mapinfo List archives on the subject
"MapInfo v ArcGis" One of the posts in that thread provided a very good
article on the subject located at:

http://www.sgsi.com/MIUserGroup/Why_MI.htm

HTH
David Reid