Dear List

I thought some features we are adding for use with MapInfo Professional,
might be of interest to the list, and therefore relevant to "New
features".

We have developed two new features:

1. Increase maximum file size from 2 GB to 16 Terrabytes for use inside
MapInfo Professional.

2. Cache network drive to local drive to reduce network traffic.

Feature 1. We have developed a 64 bit format, that uses a balanced RTREE
and has similar performance to TAB. However single files can be up to 16
Terrabytes. We have done extensive testing with a large dataset - over
50 GB of data.

Feature 2. We have developed an MBX that "on the fly" reads the 64 bit
format and caches it to a MapInfo users local drive. IF the user then
zooms in or pans inside the MBR of the cache there is no call on the
network drive. If they move outside the MBR of the Cache the cache is
rebuilt. Performance is very similar to viewing native TAB files.

The source data does not have to be on a network drive, but if it is
network traffic could be significantly reduced. For example if a user
locates themselves by viewing a town - then zooms in on a street to add
all the street lights from their paper records. As they pan in and zoom
up the street adding records to native MapInfo tables, any data they are
viewing that is in 64 bit format, and being cached is NOT being sampled
from the network drive. These 64 bit "tables" can be mixed with native
TAB, Oracle, SQL Spatialware etc within the users workspace.

I am not personally convinced that .NET gives users more features. It
gives developers great new features that should lead to lower cost
software through increased productivity - particularly the GDI plus
features and support for DirectX. The main benefit to users, and to the
employers of users, is ease of deployment. However Win32 can be written
to be easy to deploy as well.

As a development company we've always been keen to add features to
MapInfo, but sometimes do not in case the feature comes in the next
version. The two features mentioned here are not coming in the next
version so we would be keen to here from users who are interested in
files over 2 GB, and the potential savings in network traffic that the
Caching could bring about.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Regards

Bob
@MapsByDesign.co.uk

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Reid
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

bob young