In case anyone is interested in why, technically speaking, this
'wandering text' problem occurs, Eric Blasenheim explained it a few
years ago.  See below.

Tim Nuteson
Target

[From Eric Blasenheim]:
It is not entirely clear to me that all the recent questions on label
plotting all relate to the same issue. Some may be a result of
misunderstanding how dynamic labels are composed. In particular, many
people still think that labels in the Layout are supposed to be the same
as
those in the Map window.  This is not correct. The labels, which are
always
sized using paper (Points) units, fit differently in the Layout paper
space
than they do in the Map Window which has only the screen connection.

However, there is a bug in the layout label calculation that may be the
source of a number of these inquiries. There is also a workaround until
that bug is fixed.

When the labels are composed, their location is determined by
translating
the label location of the object (usually the centroid) from geographic
units into a location on the page. This location is then adjusted
according
to the nine label positioning and offset options and the text size which
is
determined by querying the operating system (Windows).  Once these
labels
are located only changes in the label settings for that layer, the scale
of
the map or the size of the layout frame will cause the labels to be
recomposed. A simple zoom change in the layout, will not cause this. It
only changes the display size of all the labels. This is how it should
be.

However, when the screen display size of the labels is quite small, the
conversions between geographic, screen and paper locations result in
loss
of precision resulting in the labels not being correctly located.
Basically we are querying Windows with user point sizes (8, 10, 12
point)
scaled down to 1 or 2 points. This commonly occurs with large size plots
and/or small screen resolutions where a view which encompasses the
entire
layout results in very small on screen text sizes.

The workaround is to force MapInfo Professional to recompose the labels
when the screen size of the text is more reasonable. So, if you zoom in
the layout to where the text is readable and do any of the following the
labels should recompose correctly:

1) Change any setting in the label settings dialog or the check box for
dynamic label visibility at the first level of layer control. Obviously,
if
you choose to turn off visibility you will need to turn it back on
again.

2) Run any of the MapBasic  "Set Map Layer Label" commands from the
MapBasic window. These are the same commands generated by the Layer
control/Label settings dialogs.

3) Change any of the zoom/scale settings in the Change View dialog or
the
MapBasic commands that they generate.

4) Change the size of the Layout frame where the Map is contained via
the
Frame dialog or by dragging the frame corner or side.

Also note that any workspaces that you save can automatically use this
workaround by saving them at a Layout zoom where the text size is not
too
small! Opening the workspace causes the layout frames including the
labels
to be recomposed from scratch and if the viewed text size is reasonable,
the correct calculations will occur.

We are looking into a fix for this problem.

Eric Blasenheim