Giles

Not sure what you mean by  "dropdown list string" but it needs to be an
ARRAY of string values.
Then the result of the selection needs to go into a variable, as index
into the selected element of the array.
You'd select the value to be stored by accessing the appropriate array
element.
Never tried it but I'm not sure you can set up a dialog of drop-downs
via a FOR loop - I think each needs to be set up individually.
Finally, to do anything with the selection from the
combo/drop-down/pop-up, you need a handler routine (e.g. to do the above
accessing of the array)

E.g.

  DIALOG
        Title "My Dialog Title"
        Control StaticText
                Title "Select Route:"
        Control PopUpMenu
                Title from Variable gaRouteNames
                Value 1
                Into  gnSelRouteID
                calling STORE_ROUTE_PROC
        Control StaticText
                Title "Select Stop:"
        Control PopUpMenu
                Title from Variable gaStopNames
                Value 1
                Into  gnSelStopID
                calling STORE_STOP_PROC
        Control OKButton
        Control CancelButton

Where gaRouteNames and gaStopNames are global arrays of string,
        gnSelRouteID, gnSelStopID are global integers
And the called procs would have code like
----------------------
lcSelectedRoute = gaRouteNames( gnSelRouteID)
Insert into <tablename> ( RouteName ) values ( lcSelectedRoute) ' or
gaRouteNames( gnSelRouteID)
Or
Update <tablename> set RouteName = lcSelectedRoute
I haven't bothered putting in the X/Y positions of the above controls -
leave that up to you.  Without it, MB will find its own positions -
usually one above the next.

HTH

Terry McDonnell