Andrew,

There's 2 options both requiring the addition of a new column (as float) to
your table that is then updated.

Version 1 is to update the new column with the rowid number thus:
    Update Mytable Set Mycol = rowid
        and then
    Select * from Mytable where Mycol mod N into randsampl
        where N is based on the number of records you want.

Version 2 is to update the new column with a random number thus:
    Update Mytable Set Mycol = rnd(1)*79000
        and then
    Select * from Mytable where Mycol < 7900 into randsampl
        for an approx 10% sample

Ian

>>> "Andrew Tracey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 17/01/2006 08:15:56 >>>

I currently have a table with 79000 points in it. Does anyone have a query or
know how to pick out a random sample of the data (say every 100 or every 1000
records)

Thanks in advance

Andrew Tracey
Information Support Officer
Corporate Information
Corporate Development
South Tyneside Council
Westoe Road
South Shields
NE33 2RL

Tel: 0191 4247561
E-Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please do not print this e-mail if you can help it - and help protect the
environment.
This Message may contain confidential information and is protected by copyright.
If you receive it in error please notify us and delete it without making use of
or copying it.
The addressee and other employees within the Council may read and copy any
e-mail
Whilst we use virus checking procedures we accept no liability for viruses and
recipients
must rely on their own virus checking procedures.