To: "Uffe Kousgaard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [MI-L] Number of fields

Hi Uffe

I think your answer might be a bit unclear to some. I think you mean:

MapInfo even on NTFS has 2 GB limit - therefore the limit is with
MapInfo.

It might suggest to some that Windows itself with NTFS has a 2 GB limit.

I have created and used files up to 4 GB incidentally on FAT 32. You
need to use a 4 byte unsigned pointer, whereas MapInfo use a 4 byte
signed, therefore only getting half the range.

Hope you are well.

Regards

Bob

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Uffe Kousgaard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
From: "Mats Elfström" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I think your analysis is correct.
I believe the numbers are as follows:
Max Tab file size: 2 GB (OS limit, not MapInfo)

It is a MapInfo limit, since even Windows with NTFS filesystem has the 2 GB
limit.

I tried to enter it into the Wiki: http://www.mapinfo-l.com/Wiki/TABFormat

Regards
Uffe