Hi John

An option that you could use in the Voronoi polygon function that ships with
MapInfo Pro (under the Objects menu).

This tool will create region objects around your town points so that at any
point within that polygon, you are closest to the town centre it surrounds than
you are to any other town centre.

You can then assign a town centre to each business point by doing a simple join
between the voronoi polygons and the business points.

A nice by-product of this method is the ability to thematically map each
voronoi polygon to display a count of the number of business points or other
similar from data that may reside in the business points table.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards

Tony Maber  -  Certified MapInfo Professional
Manager - Business Services
SPATIAL DECISIONS PTY LTD
(A MapInfo Associate Partner)
www.spatialdecisions.com.au
Ph: (612) 9528-2822
Mob: (61) 404-861-858
Fax: (612) 9528-2833

Check out HotSpot Detective and MapAnimated  -  two great additions to MapInfo
Professional at www.spatialdecisions.com.au

Hello All,

I have a table of 37 town centres and another table of 4000 businesses.
What I would like to do is assign all the businesses to a town centre
geographically. So basically calculate the town centre nearest the
business location and perhaps create a line linking the two? I have
tried spider graph (the MI tool) which hasn't worked and had had a go
with CrimeStat but had no joy.

Wonder if anyone has come across this before and had any ideas. Any help
would be as always very much appreciated!

Cheers,

- JOHN

John Nott

Consultant/GIS Analyst