On 3/27/06, Nicolas Labombarda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I am working with an .ecw compressed raster image. I did the compression
> in ER Mapper. My question is why the compressed image is so different in
> visual quality than the original geotiff.
> It's normal to lose so much quality or I am doing something wrong?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> Nicolás

You are doing something wrong. The compressed image should look almost
identical to the original. Is your original image larger than 500MB? I
think the compressor downsamples larger images. However you can use
FWTools ECW to compress arbitrairly large files.
(http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/). Or you can tile your soruce
image before compressing.

Rich

--