Title: RE: [MI-L] Township, Range & Section Data - Florida or US

Frank, since we use this information simply as a grid for assigning
location attributes and aggregating exposure data, I keep no metadata as
to where the lines and nodes come from.

When I first go this data, it was from the University of Florida. They
told me they got it from the various water management districts.

Some simple queries on the data when I first got it showed that there
were some errors in the naming of the Sections, Townships and Ranges
(for instance, a range of "E" that was all alone, far away from the "W"
side of the meridian; section numbers that were repeated or out of
sequence). These were fixed.

On the paperwork we send our insureds, the PLSS is printed on the
declarations. We started getting some complaints from insureds that our
PLSS info did not match their tax records, so we check them out.
Sometimes this is due to imprecise geocoding, sometimes the geocode
seems to be correct, but the road line network does not match up with
our aerial photography (free! from http://labins.org).

Sometimes everything would be right, but the PLSS line would be wrong.
Then we would check with the local county property appraiser GIS office
(who should have the best line work in the county) and get a copy of
their PLSS data, and move some nodes around to match their data.

Note: If anyone gets this data, there are no warranties expressed or
implied as to accuracy or suitability for your particular purposes. This
is simply nerds helping other nerds.

Hope this helps,
-- Steve