From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nabors, Steve
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: MapInfo-L@lists.directionsmag.com
Subject: RE: [MI-L] MI Networking Problems

We started on MapInfo on version 7.0.  I know we could have multiple users connecting to the same tables on a shared drive.  We had no problem with this.

We have since moved through v7.5, 7.8, and are presently on 8.0.

Try the following while remaining out of MapInfo:
See if all of your users can connect to the share and see the files through file manager.  If so then your users have at least Read rights and there is no NTFS, Share or machine level access issue.

Try the following while inside of MapInfo as just one user:
See if one of those users can open and edit a table in MapInfo and save it.  If so, your users have full access to modify the tables from a security standpoint(NTFS, Share or machine level access).

If you have gotten this far then, the problem is perhaps in MapInfo.

This leads me to believe that perhaps you are having some sort of multiversion MapInfo table access issue.  Perhaps one version(v7) sees the tables being "held" by another application(in this case just another version(v6) of MI) and will not let it open the tables even though you may not be editing in v6.

In MapInfo,try having "like versions" open the tables and see what your results are.  Preferably the latest version(7.0 and up) you have multiples of.

Also in MapInfo, try opening the tables in MapInfo's Read Only mode and see if multiple users can open tables. Again, preferably the latest version you have multiples of.