> Internally MI is working on spherical coordinates.

I really hope this is not the case.   I hope that MI is at least using
the "current coordinate system" from the MapBasic window.   Not having a
version of MI past 6.5 available, I can't test this with the Rotate tool,
but try the following:

1.  Make sure your map is using a projected coordinate system, rather than
lat/lon.  A conformal projection is ideal.
2.  Open the MapBasic window (Options->Show MapBasic Window)
3.  Click on the title bar of your map window to make sure it is the front
one.
4.  click in the MapBasic window and type "Set Coordsys Window
FrontWindow()", then hit ENTER.
5.  Now try drawing rectangles, converting them to regions, and rotating
them.

HTH
Spencer