From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Joutsiniemi Anssi
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:21 PM
To: mapinfo-l@lists.directionsmag.com
Subject: [MI-L] MBX documentation

Dear Community,

A couple of weeks ago Jacques raised a small discussion on future of
MapBasic. With a certain bittersweet nostalgia I asked myself how the
story
is going to continue...

Since the MB doesn't seem to be that chic any longer, I thought maybe I
could
release my notes on MBX-file format as well. I know there is plenty of
delicate issues concerning the copyrights of compiled code and also some
private money bound to it too. That is little strainge though, since
most of
us know that it is rather easy to built a decompiler and at least three
of
them exists too (search List Archive if you like).

Also some more valuable use can be thought for the documentation. For
example, currently the only compiler is the one that is provided by the
Corp.
and it significantly affects for third party development. Does anybody
there
across the ocean know where they are heading to? I naturally don't want
make enemy with them. I'm looking neither profit nor new jobs (since I
got
plenty) for this and consider this just as an act for creating new
potential
for more advanced usage.

I guess the tweaking other peoples code isn't that big of a thread,
since the
profound slowness of a MB code forces people truly developing software
to use
DLL's and stuff anyway. People capable of programming it from
documentation
most likelly wouldn't find any usefull from the tiny snippets of code
available anyway. I have never made a dime by selling program code, but
know some of you have, so basicly I'm interested to hear points of view
that
havent crossed my mind. If my initial idea of release is concidered
terribly
hostile or semi-criminal among you I'm happy to draw back this too.

Please, keep the discussion open in List, if possible.

Hard rock hallelujah
Anssi

This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal

Attention:
This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that
is confidential and subject to legal privilege. Any information
provided is given in good faith. However unless specifically stated to
the contrary, Napier City Council accepts no liability for the
content of this e-mail or for the consequences of any action taken on
the basis of the information provided, unless that information is
subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this message or data is prohibited. If you received this e-mail
message in error, please notify us immediately and erase all copies
of this message and attachments. Thank you.

<<winmail.dat>>