Title: Message
 >  However, when I tried that, the thing completely blew up and became a zeppelin when I tried to move it about.
 >  I cannot figure out why. Does someone see the flaw in my reasoning?

It's because circles don't have any geographic significance outside a Cartesian coordinate space. Also, large buffers in Pro have never worked properly so you would not be able to calculate the sun's azimuth and buffer half the earths circumference around that point either. It's a bit of MapBasic and some radian-based 3D trig' to do this problem.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd.
http://www.europa-tech.com