James,

How about this solution:
In you layout you have two frames on top of each other. One just a bit bigger than the other.
In the big frame you insert a map window that only contains the coordinate grid.

Also make sure that the big fram is beneath the small frame.

You now just have to cut the coordinate grid with the "map area" of the small map window.
When you do this you force MapInfo to put the label on the end of the grid lines in stead of on the mid of these lines where they aren't visible in the layout.

It can be a bit complicated to get to work, so I guess a MapBasic application would be the best solution

Peter Horsbøll Møller
GIS Developer, MTM
Geographical Information & IT

COWI A/S