Under YARN (branch-2, branch-0.23, and trunk) the speculative execution
decision is pluggable, and can be replaced by a user.  If you could come
up with a better solution to speculative execution that would be great.
We have known for a while that it is not very good (most of the time we
run a speculative task it is just wasted).  In branch-2 we have a new
version that we think is better (more conservative), but I am not sure how
much of a study has been done on exactly how much better it is or what
else can be done to make it even better.  I would look at adding your
ideas into that plugin and not so much of using the config to turn
speculation on or off dynamically, because there are some map/reduce
applications that abuse map/reduce somewhat and will not run correctly if
speculative execution is enabled.

--Bobby Evans