+1 (binding)

Apache is supposed to be about the community.  We have here a community of
developers, who have actively and openly worked to add a major improvement
to Hadoop: the ability to work cross-platform.  Furthermore, the size of
the substantive part of the needed patch is only about 1500 lines, much
smaller than quite a few other additions to Hadoop over the last few
months.  We should welcome and support this change, and make sure that the
code stays cross-platform going forward by extending our CI practices,
especially pre-commit "test-patch", to also include Windows.

As most of you know, my colleague Giri Kesavan (PMC member) helps maintain
the Linux CI capability for Hadoop.  I've talked with him, and he and I are
committing to getting test-patch implemented for Windows, so that along
with the current automated "+1"s required to commit, we can add two more,
for javac build in Windows and core unit tests in Windows.

Members of the team implementing cross-platform compatibility, including
Microsoft employees, have opened the discussion for providing hardware or
VM resources to perform this additional CI testing.  I will assist them to
work with the Apache Infra team and figure out how to make it happen.

I understand there is some concern about the additional platform test.
 My going-in
presumption, based on Java's intrinsic, pretty-good, cross-platform
compatibility, is that patches to Hadoop will by default also have
cross-platform compatibility, unless they are written in an explicitly
platform-dependent way.  I also believe that in the vast majority of cases
the cross-platform compatibility of Java will carry thru to Hadoop patches,
without additional effort on the developer's part.

Let's try it, and see what happens.  If we actually find a frequent
difficulty, we'll change to engineer around it.  But I believe that, in the
rare cases where a Windows-specific failure occurs, there will be a number
of people (new, enthusiastic members of the community! :-) willing to help.
 If such help is not forthcoming, then we can discuss work-arounds, but
like a previous poster, I am confident in the community.

Regards,
--Matt