The 'resistance' is not so much about  a new major release, more so about the
content and the roadmap of the release. Other than the two specific features
raised (the need for breaking compat for them is something that I am debating),
I haven't seen a roadmap of branch-3 about any more features that this
community needs to discuss about. If all the difference between branch-2 and
branch-3 is going to be JDK + a couple of incompat changes, it is a big problem
in two dimensions (1) it's a burden keeping the branches in sync and avoiding
the split-brain we experienced with 1.x, 2.x or worse branch-0.23, branch-2 and
(2) very hard to ask people to not break more things in branch-3.

We seem to have agreed upon a course of action for JDK7. And now we are taking
a different direction for JDK8. Going by this new proposal, come 2016, we will
have to deal with JDK9 and 3 mainline incompatible hadoop releases.

Regarding, individual improvements like classpath isolation, shell script
stuff, Jason Lowe captured it perfectly on HADOOP-11656 - it should be possible
for every major feature that we develop to be a opt in, unless the change is so
great and users can balance out the incompatibilities for the new stuff they
are getting. Even with an ground breaking change like with YARN, we spent a bit
of time to ensure compatibility (MAPREDUCE-5108) that has paid so many times
over in return. Breaking compatibility shouldn't come across as too cheap a
thing.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Mar 4, 2015, at 10:15 AM, Andrew Wang