I think it makes sense to have a 2.8 release since there are a
tremendous number of JIRAs in 2.8 that are not in 2.7.  Doing a 3.x
release seems like something we should consider separately since it
would not have the same compatibility guarantees as a 2.8 release.
There's a pretty big delta between trunk and 2.8 as well.

cheers,
Colin