This seems like something that is going to probably happen again if we
continue to cut releases from trunk.
I know that this has been discussed at length in a separate thread but I
think it would be good to recognize that it is the core of the issue here.

Either we:

* need to define what will happen on trunk in such circumstances and
clearly communicate an action before taking it on the dev@ list or
* we need to not introduce this sort of thrashing on trunk by releasing
from it directly

My humble 2 cents...

--larry