Touching the audit log is *extremely* dangerous from a compatibility
perspective.  It is easily the most machine processed log in Hadoop (with the
second likely being the fsck log).  In particular, this comment tells me that
we are almost certainly going to break users:

        "Some audit logs ( for non-ACE failures ) will go missing. So this
change needs to be marked as Incompatible, for heads-up."

        If that means what I think it means (the ordering of checks is going to
make previously logged errors disappear in lieu of other, new messages showing
up first), that is going to cause massive problems for users who are looking
for a particular entry. Worse, while the JIRA was marked incompatible, there
are absolutely zero hints to end users (changes file, release notes) that this
could potentially break their universe without digging into the comments of
said JIRA.  That's not a heads up, that's a landmine.

        It's also arguable that this is actually a bug fix.  A lot of the
assumptions made in that JIRA about the audit logs original intent are
completely wrong. Better yet, a lot of the justification is around another
unmarked, incompatible change that was introduced in the 2.x timeline.

        Even if one disagrees and still views this as a bug fix:  it's still an
incompatible change.  Users are justifiably angry when we don't warn them about
breakages and this is a great example of that.