Thanks for pushing on this Sangjin. The proposal sounds reasonable.

However, for it to have teeth, we need to be *very* disciplined about the
release cadence. Looking at our release history, we've done 4 maintenance
releases in 2016 and no minor releases. 2015 had 4 maintenance and 1 minor
release. The proposal advocates for 12 maintenance releases and 2 minors
per year, or about 3.5x more releases than we've historically done. I think
achieving this will require significantly streamlining our release and
testing process.

For some data points, here are a few EOL lifecycles for some major
projects. They talk about support in terms of time (not number of
releases), and release on a cadence.

Ubuntu maintains LTS for 5 years:
https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

Linux LTS kernels have EOLs ranging from 2 to 6 years, though it seems only
one has actually ever been EOL'd:
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Mesos supports minor releases for 6 months, with a new minor every 2 months:
http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/versioning/

Eclipse maintains each minor for ~9 months before moving onto a new minor:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35997352/how-to-determine-end-of-life-for-eclipse-versions