> On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Forking this off to not distract from release activities.
>
> I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-323 to get clarity on the
> matter. I read the entire webpage, and it could be improved one way or the
> other.

        IANAL, my read has always lead me to believe:

                * An artifact is anything that is uploaded to dist.a.o and
repository.a.o
                * A release consists of one or more artifacts ("Releases are,
by definition, anything that is published beyond the group that owns it. In our
case, that means any publication outside the group of people on the product dev
list.")
                * One of those artifacts MUST be source
                * (insert voting rules here)
                * They must be built on a machine in control of the RM
                * There are no exceptions for alpha, nightly, etc
                * (various other requirements)

                i.e., release != artifact .... it's more like release =
artifact * n .

        Do you have to have binaries?  No (e.g., Apache SpamAssassin has no
binaries to create).  But if you place binaries in dist.a.o or repository.a.o,
they are effectively part of your release and must follow the same rules.
(Votes, etc.)