Is it necessary to cut the branch so far ahead of the release?  branch-3.0
is already a maintenance line for 3.0.x releases.  Is there a known
feature/improvement planned to go into branch-3.0 that is not desirable for
the 3.0.1 release?

I have found in the past that branching so early leads to many useful fixes
being unnecessarily postponed to future releases because committers forget
to pick to the new, relatively long-lived patch branch.  This becomes
especially true if blockers end up dragging out the ultimate release date,
which has historically been quite common.  My preference would be to cut
this branch as close to the RC as possible.

Jason