On 08/12/2010 12:10 AM, Harsh J wrote:
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:57 AM, David Rosenstrauch<dar...@darose.net>  wrote:
On 08/11/2010 08:08 PM, Aaron Kimball wrote:
On a related note, if there's actually no difference between the 2
methods,
would anybody have any idea what could make the "mapred.job.tracker"
setting
on a job Configuration get ignored?  (I currently have it set to
"hdfs://<hadoop_job_tracker_host_name>:9001".)

There's a reason that's being ignored :) That is not a jobtracker address.
Assuming you've configured your namenode and your jobtracker on the same
machine, then your fs.default.name should be hdfs://hdfs.host.name:port,
and
mapred.job.tracker should just be jt.host.name:port

The port numbers in these two cases will be different.

Hmmmm ... OK.  Not sure I understand why the syntax is different for thosee
2 settings, but I'll give that a shot and see if it fixes the problem.
Its probably because the JT has nothing to do with the HDFS protocols.
Giving a hdfs:// scheme in its URI won't make sense :)

Actually, turns out that using an hdfs URI for the JT works just fine. The problem turned out to be elsewhere.

(Gory details: I was instantiating my Job with an empty configuration, and then later setting properties on it (like the JT host/port). Turns out that Job decides *at instantiation time* whether the job will be run locally or remotely, based on the contents of the JT property. So my setting the JT on the job's config after the fact was too late and had no effect.)

Thanks,

DR