Hi,

I am using Hadoop MapReduce 0.21.0. The usual process of starting Hadoop/HDFS/MapReduce was to use the "start-all.sh" script. Now when calling that script, it tell me that its usage is deprecated and I was to use "start-{dfs,mapred}.sh". But when I do so the error message "Hadoop common not found" will be thrown. I was looking through the script files and it seems that the problem are not set environment variables. That is HADOOP_HOME and HADOOP_COMMON_HOME. Now those are set in the hadoop-config.sh. Yet start-{dfs,mared}.sh on the other hand are looking for those two environment variables to call exactly that script file: hadoop-config.sh. Now that seems odd to me. So is there a way of starting Hadoop a non-deprecated way or is this a bug?

Martin