From: ext GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000) [mailto:matthew.go...@monsanto.com]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 3:49 PM
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: RE: controlling no. of mapper tasks

Praveen,

David is correct but we might need to use different terminology. Hadoop looks
at the number of input splits and if the file is not splittable then yes it
will only use 1 mapper for it. In the case of most files (which are splittable)
Hadoop will break them into multiple maps and work over each one. What you need
to take a look at is the number of concurrent mappers / reducers that you have
defined per node so that you do not cause context switches due to too many
processes per core. Take a look in mapred-site.xml and you will see a default
defined (if not take a look at the default mapred-site.xml for your version).

Matt