On 09/02/2011 09:14 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos wrote:

Hello guys,

I am using hadoop-0.20.2-cdh3u0 and I use MultipleOutputs to divide the HFiles
(which are the output of my MR job) so that each file can fit into one region
of the table where I am going to bulk load them.

Therefore I have one MultipleOutput per region and as a result I had 280
different outputs.
I just realized that using so many outputs makes my job a lot slower than it is
when I have just one output.

Do you know what goes wrong? Has anyone noticed the same?

Thank you!
Panagiotis

You're probably running into this bug, which crushes the performance of MultipleOutputs:

Apparently it's fixed in v0.21, so try to upgrade if you can.

I wasn't able to in our code however (we were also using Cloudera CDH, which as you see is 0.20). What I eventually wound up doing to work around it was to use our own local copy of the MultipleOutputs class (I called it BugFixMultipleOutputs_0_20) which I manually patched with the fix.

HTH,

DR